Labels

Monday, August 5, 2013

Removing wheels, fenders, brakes, bell

24 July 2013

Brake pads
DS (right) brake bad nut was down (cant access without removing the wheel (which turned out to be very difficult). NDS nut was up.

Rear wheel
I had great difficulty removing the rear wheel.

I could not get the axel to clear the DS dropout.
I couldn't remove fender or drive-side brakepad with wheel in. In the end, I pushed the fender up, and bent the drive side dropout outwards (by hand) and managed to maneuver the wheel out. I think the DS rear dropout may be bent, and was binding on the axel. I probably spent an hour on this.



Rear Fender.
 

Not attached to strut at rear

I believe the 2 studs captured on the strut are intended to mount the strut to the inside of the fender.
There was no nut attached to bolt on the brake bridge.

I had terrible difficulty removing the screw-head bolt connecting the fender near the bottom bracket. I could not figure out a way to hold the screw head stationary as there was no access for a screw-driver. I found a bent screwdriver but it was too narrow for the screw slot. In the end I used a pair of vice grips to hold the screw, but it broke (with very little force when I tried to remove it.)/ probably spent an hour and a half on this.
Using vice-grips to hold screw head while turning bolt that attaches fender.
 Rear brakes
There was no nut on the bolt holding the cable attachment point (tension from the brake mechanism held it in place, but it is a bit bent.

It sure looks like there is a nut on it in this photo, but I don't think there is (I could have forgotten removing it, but I don't think so). The spring that goes between the 2 standouts on the brakes has already been removed (before this photo; I have it)
Rear brakes; spring already removed
Front Fender bracket
This was the only part of the front fender still on the bike when I received it. The washer goes on the outside of the fork dropout. Only the nut goes on the inside. I have the rest of the fender. It was in the box, but not mounted when I received the bike.
Front Fender attachment.

Front brakes
Came off easily. DS goes to the rear. NDS to the front.

Bell Was on non-drive-side of handlebars. 


No comments:

Post a Comment