Labels

Monday, August 19, 2013

Greasing derailleur pulleys



I wanted to get grease into the pulleys on the derailleur from my BGA velectrik






I Was able to dissasemble the small pulley by using unscrewing the cones, using a large screwdriver on one side to hold them, and using the points of a pair of large Ikea scissors to turn the other side.

Hers are the parts after being soaked in white spirits and cleaned.

TIP: don't leave parts in white spirits too long. They go rusty. I left these in for a few days, and had to clean the rust off afterwards (I was going to replace the bearings anyway)


 Below is the pulley with the cone from one side in, and packed with bearings and Morningstar feehub soup grease.

Challenge: Where does the washer go? The picture above shows a small copper-colored split-ring washer that came out of the pulley. I cannot figure where/why to put it back in. It seems strange to put it in on one side only; and it seems like it would only interfear with the action of the bearings/cones. I have left it out.







 Here is the pully packed with grease again.















 Below are the 2 faces of the larger pulley

Challenge: How to dissasemble this pulley?  I could isolate the face of the pulley on one side, and turn the face on the other side, but it just rotated, and did not screw off. I think they must be pressed in. I did not want to risk destroying it by levering it out.





 My solution was to spray penetrating grease around the sides of the pulley. This actually seemed to get some grease in there. I didn't put the pulley in solvent before regreasing it... perhaps that was a mistake?


No comments:

Post a Comment