Labels

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Reassembling the rear derailleur

To remove the rust, I left the rod and the spring assembly soaking in a solution of oxalic acid overnight. In the morning I removed them and gave the a quick flush in a swimming pool PH+. There were also some rusty bolts soaking in a jam jar of oxaic acid.

all the parts ready for reassembly

I am not sure how to lubricate these pullys. They sound dry and gritty. predictably, I was not able to get any of this grease to the bearings.

I might try the actions described in this thread to clean the pullys above (I posted a question to this thread asking if this was a good idea); 
Also this link has good information on lubricating freewheels

The spring and rod cleaned up OK. The spring still looks dirty, but I have scrubed and soaked as much as I want to.


The metal parts are stained, but they are clean now. I greased the interface between the hanger and the derailleur mount, and the diagional sliding section is now very smooth.


I had a lot of trouble removing the two bolts that go in the "eyes" of the pully wheel. The screw slot is not deep and the scrow driver slipped. Even now the bolt does not thread nicely. So I decided to replace them. After 1 trip to town where all the shops we closed for the customary french 2 hour lunch brake, I returned and picked these up.


The reassembled mechanism


The other side of the reassembled mechanism


I wish I had taken more notice of this section when dissasembling. It seems the pully cage is pulled back by the spring until it touches the rod; this acts as a stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment